- Mahershala Ali, who recently starred as the villain Cottonmouth in Marvel’s Luke Cage, is in talks to star in the James Cameron produced and Robert Rodriguez directed film Alita: Battle Angel. If he gets the role, Ali will play Vector; one of the film’s main villains. Shooting for the film will begin this month in Austin Texas.
- Miles Teller has been cast as Gilbert, the lead character in the upcoming John Stevenson (director of Kung Fu Panda) animated film The Ark and the Aardvark; a re-imagining of the story of Noah’s Ark. The film is currently in production.
- In preparation for the release of Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them on November 18th, the eight Harry Potter films will be screened in IMAX for one week starting October 13th. The films will be in 2D, feature content from Fantastic Beasts and include greeting’s from the latter film’s cast.
- In an interview with the Associated Press, Ben Affleck revealed that the title for his Batman solo film could be The Batman. The actor went onto say that the name could later change, but that it is the name that they are using now. The film as yet has no release date, but it was recently confirmed that Joe Manganiello was cast as Deathstroke. You can see the clip here: Ben Affleck reveals ‘The Batman’.
- A clip from the zombie film It Stains the Sand Red has been released. In he clip actress Brittany Allen tries to defend herself as a zombie makes his slow approach. The film will premiere at the Sitges Film Festival on October 7th. You can watch the clip here.
- Tom Holland announced on Instagram that filming has wrapped on Spider-Man: Homecoming. The film was shot primarily in Atlanta before production moved to New York. The film will arrive in theatres on July 7th.
- Space Ibiza released a documentary chronicling their 27 years history on Youtube. The venue hosted it’s final event yesterday. Watch the documentary here: Space Ibiza: 27 Years of Clubbing History.
- Mariah Carey released a clip of her cameo on this Wedensday’s episode of Empire on Twitter. Carey will play a singer named Kitty. In the clip, she is in the studio with Jamal recording a song when he beings to have vocal difficulties. You can watch the clip here.
- Actor Cameron Cuffe has been cast as Seg-El – Superman’s grandfather – in the upcoming SyFy series Krypton. According to The Hollywood Reporter, Seg-El is described as; “Destined to be the ancestor of Jor-El (future father of Superman) and Kal-El (the future Superman), Seg-El is the scion of the once-prosperous El family and is blessed with an intuitive brilliance for all things technical; he is now living in Krypton’s lowest caste after his family was stripped of its rank.”
- Will Arnett will executive produce an ABC 10 episode revival of the game show The Gong Show, which originally aired on NBC from 1976-1978 and in syndication from 1976-1980 and returned for one season in 1988. Performers on the show will be unconventionally and uniquely talented individuals pulled from the internet and the show will feature a revolving panel of judges made up of Hollywood stars.
- A&E is producing a live docuseries entitled Live Cops. The series will show viewers what a typical Friday night is like in six of the busiest police departments in the U.S. The first season will consists of eight, two hour episodes and will air on delay due to the likelihood of graphic material being broadcast. The show will be shot on dashcams and handheld and fixed-rig cameras. It will premiere on October 28th at 8 PM ET/PT. For more details, visit The Hollywood Reporter.
- In an interview with British GQ, Sherlock star Benedict Cumberbatch, who recently wrapped filming on the show’s fourth season, said of the season; “”It might be the end of an era. It feels like the end of an era, to be honest. It goes to a place where it will be pretty hard to follow on immediately.” Season four of Sherlock is not expected to air before 2017. You can read the full interview here.
- A new teaser for the upcoming series The Young Pope was released. Jude Law stars as the titular Pope; the first that is an American. In the teaser he says; “They chose a pope they didn’t know, and today, they’ll begin to realize who I am.” The Young Pope premieres on October 21st on Sky Atlantic in Italy and Germany, on October 27th in the United Kingdom and in 2017 on HBO. You can watch the teaser here: The Young Pope: Teaser Trailer (HBO).
- One of the producers on a new, Russian, reality competition series entitled Komanda (or Team in English) that will see contestants vying to be the new assistant for Ramzan Kadyrov, says that the show has been “flooded with applications.” Kadyrov got into a fight on Instagram with John Oliver of Last Week Tonight over his lost cat. Oliver mocked him in a recent episode. Kadyrov is reputed to be an authoritarian ruler who has been involved in state-organised torture and disappearances. Komanda will premiere on Wednesday on the state controlled station Rossiya 1.
- Bruno Mars announced on Instagram that he will be releasing the single “24K Magic”, from his upcoming third album, on Friday. The title and release date of the album have not yet been announced.
- Solange Knowles released two music videos for songs from her recently released album A Seat at the Table; “Don’t Touch My Hair” and “Cranes in the Sky.” The videos were co-directed by Knowles and her music video director husband Alan Ferguson. You can watch the videos here and here.
- Rick Ross paid tribute to the late rapper Shawty Lo by freestyling on the latter’s track “I’m Da Man.” You can listen to the song here.
- In promotion of their upcoming fourth studio album, set to be released in 2017, The Gorillaz posted several videos to Instagram dubbed “The Book of Noodle.” You can watch them all here.
- Damian Marley and Ocean Grown Extracts will be turning a former 77,000 square foot California State prison into a marijuana farm in order to grow medical marijuana for state dispensaries. Read the full story on Billboard.
- One Republic released the single “A.I.” today. The song features Peter Gabriel and was inspired by the 2001 film of the same name. You can listen to the song here.
ANIME & MANGA
- A trailer was released for the Death Note live action film Death Note: Light up the NEW world. A three episode mini series that serves as a prequel to the film, Death Note NEW GENERATION, was released on Hulu on September 16th. The film will debut in Japan on October 29th. You can watch the trailer here.
- The trailer for the second season of Netflix’s Voltron series was released. The first season premiered on June 10th and the second will premiere later this year. You can watch the trailer on their Facebook page.
- Character visuals for the spin-off short of Assassination Classroom (Ansatsu Kyoushitsu), Koro Teacher Quest (Koro Sensei Quest), were released by the official website of the anime adaptation. The short will be screened along with Assassination Classroom: The Time of 365 (Ansatsu Kyoushitsu: 365 Nichi no Jikan). You can see them here, here, here, here and here.
- A preview for the upcoming season of Blue Exorcist (Ao no Exorcist) has been released. The new season, titled Blue Exorcist: Kyoto Impure King Arc (Ao no Exorcist: Kyoto Fujō Ō-hen), will air in January 2016. Watch the preview here.
- Photos from the set of the live action Bleach film have been circulating online. You can see the images on Crunchyroll.
- Jojo’s Bizarre Adventure will begin airing on Toonami on October 15th at 12:30 AM. Toonami released a trailer for the English dub which you can watch here.
- A Re: ZERO guide book will be released on October 24th along with volume 1o. It will be 272 pages and focus on the first three arcs and will include supplementary character information and new short story entitled Emilia’s Maid Method. Visit Crunchyroll to see previews of the art that will be included.
- Dave Prowse, the man behind the Darth Vader mask in Star Wars Episode IV-VI, has retired from international fan conventions. The 81 year old actor made the announcement via Twitter.
- Eddie Murphy will receive a career achievement award at the 20th annual Hollywood film awards. Past recipients include Harrison Ford, Richard Gere, Glenn Close and Dustin Hoffman. The awards, which will be produced by Dick Clark Productions and hosted by James Corden, will be held at the Beverly Hilton Hotel on November 6th.
- Disney has previewed Guardians of the Galaxy – Mission: Breakout, the new attraction at Disney California Adventure and replacing the Tower of Terror. The attraction will open next summer. Watch the preview here.